Sunday, September 10, 2006

The most boring ballet class in the world...
So as you all should know, I started taking dance classes at age 4. Being that I am now 23, I'd say I'm fairly advanced. However, if one wants to take an adult ballet class, it is automatically for beginners. Why is this? Dance schools have classes that go from age 3 to age 18, progressively advancing as the years go by. But as soon as you get to the adult level-- wham! Back to beginner. I don't get it. What exactly do they think happens to their 18-year-old students when they turn 19? Suddenly suffer from ballet amnesia? I think not!

So I went to a ballet class last night at a local dance school here in York. There were five people in the class, including myself, and we all had very different experience levels. So the teacher (who was actually really nice and a really good teacher) scaled everything to fit the more inexperienced dancers. The result: a too-short class where it was almost entirely a warm-up. At no point did my leg ever go above a 45 degree angle. I didn't break a sweat. I didn't need a drop of water from my water bottle. I have no sore muscles today.

This class is definitely not for me. Of course the more advanced classes are at weird times that clash with my normal workday... so I'm stuck. I have to either be stuck in boringville, or find another studio that has classes to fit my schedule and level of experience. Because this class is not going to get me back in shape at all, which is what I needed in the first place. Grr. I'll keep you all posted...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home